VOCAL FATIGUE


VOCAL FATIGUE

I think it is crucial that I list the causes of vocal fatigue. Because singing is such a coordinated function, the list of causes might seem repetitive. However, I feel it is important to review the causes of vocal fatigue. Allow me to say emphatically, a singer should NEVER experience vocal fatigue. If he/she is singing correctly, the voice should not tire. Never should a singer feel fatigue after a lesson, recording session or performance. I have heard so many singers tell me that their last teacher told them that the 'muscles had to get used to the new technique'. This is irresponsible for any instructor not to take vocal fatigue as a red light for future vocal damage. Hoarseness should NEVER occur after any voice lesson unless the singer is executing the instruction incorrectly.

SOME CAUSES OF VOCAL FATIGUE

1) Smoking or drinking alcoholic beverages.
(2) Hyper-belting: Using too much chest voice pushed up to high in the scale.
(3) Constantly singing in falsetto.
(4) Singing with a loud shouty (speech level) voice.
(5) Singing with a low soft palate.
(6) Singing with a forward jaw position.
(7) Singing with an already hoarse voice.
(8) Pushing too much breath pressure through the larynx.
(9) Incorrect posture; dropped chest or hyper-extended chest.
(10) Singing with the head posture pushed forward from the spine.
(11) Unsupported singing; lack of connection to the resistance of breath pressure in the lower back and abdominal muscles.
(12) Not allowing the voice to rest or take a break.
(13) Singing beyond the normal range for a long period.

There are so many more stemmed out of these 13. Some may be personalised because  there is a difference in each person's anatomy. Be "watchful" as you sing, you may find out your weak spots too!

Comments

  1. Good Day Ma, i thank you for impacting knowledge.
    Ever since I started singing in the choir I belong to, the only but I hear is that there isn't strength in my voice while I sing. And I am completely blank on what I should do.

    What should I do to sing with strength
    ?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Please send me a mail through jazzsari123@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

FOOD vs. SINGERS

TESTMONIALS AND RECOMMENDATIONS

EMMA THE GREAT!